Friday, November 17, 2017

Let's Talk About Music: Falling in Love with Rush: Some Advice about Life and How to Live It from 2112 [ASMR]

See Table of Contents for additional material related to Entertainment/Music, Q&A and ASMR.



Articles:
  • System Of A Down: Hypnotize (Review, 2006)

  • "The Music Industry almost kills a tribute to one of the greatest albums in the history of Rock and Roll: 2112 by Rush" (2009)


  • "The Music Industry almost kills a tribute to one of the greatest albums in the history of Rock and Roll: 2112 by Rush"


    Let me give you some background Information

    I’m a Rush fan. I have been since the early 1980’s. I have the LPs for their first 4 albums, and CDs of everything up to their 1991 album ‘Roll the Bones’. I’ve also had the pleasure of seeing them perform live in Toronto, their hometown – What a Show!

    It was their 1976 album ‘2112’ that got me hooked. Most music aficionados would agree that it’s a masterpiece - one of the greatest artistic achievements of all time. It’s not only a perfect collaboration between three of the greatest musicians the world has ever produced, its message is timeless, which is why for the last week I have been looping this album, trying to put together a tribute piece that would do it justice.

    I was going to call the post “Come, experience 2112 by Rush: A tribute to one of the greatest experiences in the history of Rock and Roll”. As you can tell my plans changed, thanks to Universal Music Group (UMG).

    I had written most of the text to the piece and started to put together the videos. I knew that I would probably run into copyright issues with Youtube, which is why I also loaded the videos to my DailyMotion account.

    Let’s set the stage

    The story of 2112 is as follows:
    In a dystopian society where ‘every single facet of every life is regulated and directed’ by an oligarchy, a humble individual discovers something beautiful that was long ago forbidden, forgotten, and lost – a guitar.

    When he strums the strings he is filled with beauty, love and light. So much so that he feels obligated to share this new found wonder. His innocence and ignorance bring him to the Temples of the Federation where he has been granted an audience with the rulers.

    He shares his joy. He shows them what he can do with this instrument. The music that he can create. The rulers, however, are not amused. They shun him, dismiss his childish dream of a better world, and they destroy his wondrous find.

    It is then that he awakens to the reality of his life.
    I found it quite amusing to have received the following messages when I loaded the videos on Youtube and DailyMotion:
    Youtube: “Your video, 2112 Part1a, may have content that is owned or licensed by UMG… This video contains an audio track that has not been authorized by all copyright holders. The audio has been disabled.”

    DailyMotion: “Some or all of the elements composing your video, ‘2112_Part6,’ have been flagged as infringing upon the intellectual property rights of a third party (e.g. author, producer, artist, etc.). It has been removed at the request of one or more of the rights holders.”… The same message was received for Parts 2 to 7.
    What I found even more amusing, however, is that Youtube removed the audio for Part 1, and DailyMotion removed the videos for Part 2 to 7, which means that this seven-part suite written by Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson, with lyrics written by Neil Peart can still be presented. Now isn’t that nice.

    Below you will find the story of 2112, Side A from the album by the same name.

    I was also going to write an intro to Side B - What a rush I found it to be to hop on a train to Bangkok for the first time, where I could enter a world of imagination and explore my dreams' creation. How the music reminded me that my goals are more than a thought. That I can’t get something for nothing. That freedom is not for free, and that I won't get wise when the sleep is still in my eyes no matter what my dreams might be. After all: What I own is my own kingdom, what I do is my own glory, what I love is my own power, and how I live is my own story.

    Without further ado, 2112 by Rush, and I would recommend going through this sooner rather than later because the odds are these videos will not be up for much longer.

    Enjoy.

    Below you will find the lyrics and the story of 2112 plus two live performances, the first from 1976 and the second from 1997.





    2112 by Rush
    "I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon. City and sky become one, merging into a single plane, a vast sea of unbroken grey. The Twin Moons, just two pale orbs as they trace their way across the steely sky. I used to think I had a pretty good life here, just plugging into my machine for the day, then watching Templevision or reading a Temple Paper in the evening.

    "My friend Jon always said it was nicer here than under the atmospheric domes of the Outer Planets. We have had peace since 2062, when the surviving planets were banded together under the Red Star of the Solar Federation. The less fortunate gave us a few new moons.

    “I believed what I was told. I thought it was a good life, I thought I was happy. Then I found something that changed it all..."
    Part I: Overture
    And the meek shall inherit the earth...
    Part II: Temples of Syrinx
    ... "The massive grey walls of the Temples rise from the heart of every Federation city. I have always been awed by them, to think that every single facet of every life is regulated and directed from within! Our books, our music, our work and play are all looked after by the benevolent wisdom of the priests..."


    We've taken care of everything
    The words you hear, the songs you sing
    The pictures that give pleasure to your eyes.
    It's one for all and all for one
    We work together, common sons
    Never need to wonder how or why.


    We are the Priests of the Temples of Syrinx
    Our great computers fill the hallowed halls.
    We are the Priests, of the Temples of Syrinx
    All the gifts of life are held within our walls.


    Look around at this world we've made
    Equality our stock in trade
    Come and join the Brotherhood of Man
    Oh, what a nice, contented world
    Let the banners be unfurled
    Hold the Red Star proudly high in hand.


    We are the Priests of the Temples of Syrinx
    Our great computers fill the hallowed halls.
    We are the Priests, of the Temples of Syrinx
    All the gifts of life are held within our walls.
    Part III: Discovery
    ... "Behind my beloved waterfall, in the little room that was hidden beneath the cave, I found it. I brushed away the dust of the years, and picked it up, holding it reverently in my hands. I had no idea what it might be, but it was beautiful" ...

    ... "I learned to lay my fingers across the wires, and to turn the keys to make them sound differently. As I struck the wires with my other hand, I produced my first harmonious sounds, and soon my own music! How different it could be from the music of the Temples! I can't wait to tell the priests about it! ..."


    What can this strange device be?
    When I touch it, it gives forth a sound
    It's got wires that vibrate and give music
    What can this thing be that I found?


    See how it sings like a sad heart
    And joyously screams out its pain
    Sounds that build high like a mountain
    Or notes that fall gently like rain.


    I can't wait to share this new wonder
    The people will all see its light
    Let them all make their own music
    The Priests praise my name on this night.
    Part IV: Presentation
    ... "In the sudden silence as I finished playing, I looked up to a circle of grim, expressionless faces. Father Brown rose to his feet, and his somnolent voice echoed throughout the silent Temple Hall." ...

    ... "Instead of the grateful joy that I expected, they were words of quiet rejection! Instead of praise, sullen dismissal. I watched in shock and horror as Father Brown ground my precious instrument to splinters beneath his feet..."


    I know it's most unusual
    To come before you so
    But I've found an ancient miracle
    I thought that you should know
    Listen to my music
    And hear what it can do
    There's something here as strong as life
    I know that it will reach you.


    Yes, we know, it's nothing new
    It's just a waste of time
    We have no need for ancient ways
    Our world is doing fine
    Another toy will help destroy
    The elder race of man
    Forget about your silly whim
    It doesn't fit the plan.


    I can't believe you're saying
    These things just can't be true
    Our world could use this beauty
    Just think what we might do.
    Listen to my music
    And hear what it can do
    There's something here as strong as life
    I know that it will reach you.


    Don't annoy us further!
    We have our work to do.
    Just think about the average
    What use have they for you?
    Another toy will help destroy
    The elder race of man
    Forget about your silly whim
    It doesn't fit the Plan!
    Part V: Oracle: The Dream
    ... "I guess it was a dream, but even now it all seems so vivid to me. Clearly yet I see the beckoning hand of the oracle as he stood at the summit of the staircase" ...

    ... "I see still the incredible beauty of the sculptured cities and the pure spirit of man revealed in the lives and works of this world. I was overwhelmed by both wonder and understanding as I saw a completely different way to life, a way that had been crushed by the Federation long ago. I saw now how meaningless life had become with the loss of all these things ..."


    I wandered home though the silent streets
    And fell into a fitful sleep
    Escape to realms beyond the night
    Dream can't you show me the light?


    I stand atop a spiral stair
    An oracle confronts me there
    He leads me on light years away
    Through astral nights, galactic days
    I see the works of gifted hands
    That grace this strange and wondrous land
    I see the hand of man arise
    With hungry mind and open eyes


    They left the planet long ago
    The elder race still learn and grow
    Their power grows with purpose strong
    To claim the home where they belong
    Home to tear the Temples down...
    Home to change!
    Part VI: Soliloquy
    ... "I have not left this cave for days now, it has become my last refuge in my total despair. I have only the music of the waterfall to comfort me now. I can no longer live under the control of the Federation, but there is no other place to go. My last hope is that with my death I may pass into the world of my dream, and know peace at last."


    The sleep is still in my eyes
    The dream is still in my head
    I heave a sigh and sadly smile
    And lie a while in bed
    I wish that it might come to pass
    Not fade like all my dreams...


    Just think of what my life might be
    In a world like I have seen!
    I don't think I can carry on
    Carry on this cold and empty life


    My spirits are low in the depths of despair

    My lifeblood...

    ...spills over...
    Part VII: The Grand Finale
    Attention all Planets of the Solar Federation
    Attention all Planets of the Solar Federation
    Attention all Planets of the Solar Federation
    We have assumed control.
    We have assumed control.
    We have assumed control.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment